With seven head-coaching vacancies open as of Monday, here’s my initial big board of head coaching candidates.
Note: This is based on who’s being mentioned/rumored the heaviest to be targeted by NFL teams:
1) Mike McCoy-Offensive Coordinator-Denver Broncos
2) Andy Reid
3) Lovie Smith
4) Josh McDaniels-Offensive Coordinator-New England Patriots
5) Ray Horton-Defensive Coordinator-Arizona Cardinals
6) Chip Kelly-Head Coach-University of Oregon(College)
7) Kyle Shanahan-Offensive Coordinator-Washington Redskins
8) Bill O’Brien-Head Coach-Penn State (College)
9) Jay Gruden
10) Mike Zimmer
11) Mike Nolan-Defensive Coordinator-Atlanta Falcons
12) Bruce Arians-Offensive Coordinator-Indianapolis Colts
13) Dirk Koetter-Offensive Coordinator-Atlanta Falcons
14) Greg Roman-Offensive Coordinator-San Francisco 49ers
15) Gus Bradley-Defensive Coordinator-Seattle Seahawks
Surprisingly, initial reports have Jay Gruden as a hotter candidate than Mike Zimmer. Perhaps that has more to do with youth (Gruden: 45, Zimmer: 56) and believe Jay has more room to grow as a head coach than Zimmer, who has rereatedly been passed up for head-coaching jobs over the years.
Like an NFL Drat big-board, this is only speculation, and only those directly involved in the hiring process know who they’re targeting.