It’s been over a month since the 2013 NFL Draft concluded, but an interesting bit of news regarding what one team’s draft board was has come out. Blogging the Boys, the SB Nation site covering the Dallas Cowboys, was able to construct a replica of their draft board using a set of images taken in the team’s war room during day one of the 2013 draft.
I was fascinated to see where they had the various Bengals draft picks ranked, as well as players rumored to be on the Bengals’ radar during the draft. After analyzing, here is my version of it looking at just the positions of Bengals draft picks:
* Denotes players who Bengals drafted, and I didn’t get Reid Fragel.
- So, based on The Cowboys big board, here are my observations about the Bengals picks:
- Tyler Eifert, Gio Bernard, Margus Hunt, Rex Burkhead and Sean Porter were drafted in the same round they were projected.
- Cobi Hamilton was rated by Dallas as a fifth-rounder, so the Bengals got value in that sense.
- Reid Fragel was also technically a steal in the seventh, since the Cowboys had him graded as a fifth-rounder.
- Shawn Williams was drafted 4 rounds higher than what he was rated on the Cowboys’ board, but the caveat here is the the Boys will be running a Tampa-2 defense under Monte Kiffin, where each safety is responsible for half the field in deep pass coverage. Williams is projected more as a box-safety who will line up close to the LOS and act as another linebacker a lot of times, so there could explain their ranking of him so low.
- Of course, Tanner Hawkinson and T.J. Johnson weren’t even on their boards, which is likely how most draft boards were.
Overall, the Bengals had a good draft even when comparing it to the Cowboys draft board.