Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Jarvis Jones, who was selected No. 17 overall in the 2013 NFL Draft, has stated that the Cleveland Browns told him they were very high on him leading up to the 2012 NFL Draft, and even admitted they wanted to pick him at No. 6, but medical concerns with his spine and disappointing pre-draft workouts caused Cleveland to pass on him.
Instead, they took LSU DE Barkevious Mingo, who drew high praise from Jacksonville Jaguars offensive tackle Luke Joeckel, the No. 2 overall pick of the draft. Joeckel played against Mingo twice, and is quite impressed by how much he improved throughout his career:
He’s a freak athlete. He’s long, he’s fast, he’s got a good jump on the ball. He improved a ton from the first time I played him to last season. When I played him as a freshman, he was long and rangy and by the time I played him again my junior year, he got a lot stronger and he had some power moves to him also.
It will be interesting to watch careers of Mingo and Jones, as their teams will face each other in the AFC North, and if the Browns botched this pick like they have so many before, they’ll be reminded twice every year for the foreseeable future.
As we noted yesterday, it’s been a rough offseason for the Cleveland Browns and the law. But trouble isn’t just finding Browns players, but their very own owner as well. Browns owner Jimmy Haslam tells The Wall Street Journal he’s comfortable with his position in the federal investigation into his truck-stop company Pilot Flying J. This case appears far from over, and Haslam and the browns will have this looming over them for most, if not all of the 2013 NFL season.
6. Trent Richardson, Cleveland Browns: Sixth-ranked running back
16. A.J. Green, Cincinnati Bengals: Third-ranked wide receiver
61. Antonio Brown, Pittsburgh Steelers: 22nd-ranked wide receiver
62. Le’Veon Bell, Steelers: 24th-ranked running back
77. Dennis Pitta, Ravens: 6th-ranked tight end
78. Torrey Smith, Ravens: 31st-ranked wide receiver
81. Emmanuel Sanders, Steelers: 33rd-ranked wide receiver
83. BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Bengals: 31st-ranked running back
87. Giovani Bernard, Bengals: 32nd-ranked running back
94. Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers: 14th-ranked quarterback
95. Josh Gordon, Browns: 42nd-ranked wide receiver
99. Joe Flacco, Ravens: 15th-ranked quarterback