Sports Illustrated announced its choice for 2013′s Sportsman of the Year during halftime of tonight’s game between the Pittsburgh Steelers and Cincinnati Bengals, and the award has gone to Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning.
Manning, who’s having another MVP-caliber season, is on pace to break the NFL-record for touchdown passes in a single-season. In Thursday night’s Chargers-Broncos game, Manning threw his 46th and 47th touchdown pass of the season. He needs just three more to tie Tom Brady’s 2007-08 mark of 50.
Here were the other nominees by several of SI’s top writers:
- VERDUCCI: Boston Red Sox’ David Ortiz
- STAPLES: Penn State’s John Urschel
- ANDERSON: NASCAR’s Jimmie Johnson
- JENKINS: Miami Heat’s LeBron James
- KING: Denver Broncos’ Peyton Manning
- LAYDEN: Sports surgeon James Andrews
- ROSENBERG: Tennis player Rafael Nadal
- RUSHIN: Sportscasting legend Vin Scully
- DAVIS: Nebraska fan Jack Hoffman
- WERTHEIM: David-Alexandre Beauregard
- BEECH: Jockey Gary Stevens
- REITER: Eastbound’s Kenny Powers
- SHIPNUCK: Golfer Phil Mickelson
Subscribe to FanSided Daily for your morning fix. Enter your email and stay in the know.