Bengals News

Bengals Edge Buffalo in OT, Win 27-24 With Nugent’s Kick

1 of 2

Oct 13, 2013; Orchard Park, NY, USA; Cincinnati Bengals kicker Mike Nugent (2) kicks a field goal during the first quarter against the Buffalo Bills at Ralph Wilson Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Timothy T. Ludwig-USA TODAY Sports

During the first half, the Bills ran all over the Bengals front seven, except when it mattered most. Andy Dalton caught fire, until he threw an interception in the waning minutes. And by the time the teams had entered the locker rooms, we had seen both teams get hot at different times. The score stood at 17-10 in favor of Cincinnati.

“I don’t know what the halftime message was for the Bills, but whatever it was, they weren’t listening.”

That was what one of the announcers had to say following the first five minutes of play by both teams. Those first five minutes of the second half were composed of a fumble by quarterback Thaddeus Lewis that was recovered by Vontaze Burfict, a couple of third-and-long conversions by Cincinnati, and a Bengals touchdown pass from Dalton to Marvin Jones. What was a very close game was suddenly a two touchdown lead for the Bengals.

The following drive by the Buffalo Bills didn’t exactly do a great deal to bolster their momentum. Wallace Gilberry notched his third sack in two games, as the defense continued to show outstanding pass protection.

The offense on the other side of field remained hot for the rest of the game. A completion to Dane Sanzenbacher on 4th-and-15 kept a drive alive, but a penalty led to a missed field goal by Nugent on his second attempt.

The score stood at 24-10 through the remainder of the third quarter, and with 15 minutes to go and the Bill punting again, Cincinnati found itself in the driver’s seat for the second straight week, needing just to hold on to secure the win.

But four minutes later, it was Buffalo’s turn to go for it on 4th down again. This time, they needed eight yards to make it a one-score game. And with a 22 yard pass to Chandler, the two teams were now separated by a touchdown.