Cincinnati Bengals: Every Joe Burrow Pro-Comparison so far
The Cincinnati Bengal’s first pick is likely to be LSU product, Joe Burrow. Here is every pro comparison the quarterback has drawn thus far.
Whoever ends up being the Cincinnati Bengal’s first selection in the 2020 draft will command a plethora of resources. The front office will be investing somewhere in the ballpark of $25 Million, 4 years, and one of the most valuable assets a franchise can own. Regardless of how good a prospect is, it’s a lot to gamble on a single individual.
Right now, all signs point to Bengals Brass selecting Joe Burrow. Due to the fact that so much is on the line, experts have dug in to analyze which former signal-callers Burrow most closely resembles. With that, here is every comparison the Ohio native has received thus far.
- ESPN’s Adam Schefter has reported that GM’s around the league are comparing Burrow to Los Angeles Rams quarterback Jared Goff, saying,
"“Speaking to some front offices this week they compared him to Jared Goff, the former No. 1 overall pick of the Los Angeles Rams. They say efficient, polished, accurate, pretty good arm. Arm is not as good as Tua’s, and he’s not the athlete that Tua is, but he’s very efficient. He’s a quick decision-maker. He’s more of your typical drop-back guy”"
- Bleacher Report’s lead draft analyst Matt Miller compared the 23-year-old to Andrew Luck
"“He reminds me a lot of Tony Romo with his delivery and the way he manipulates the pocket.”"
- ESPN’s Todd McShay had two comparisons for Burrow: Carson Wentz and ironically enough, Andy Dalton
"“I talked to scouts that say he’s Andy Dalton and that’s all he will be. I see more of Carson Wentz. I see a guy who plays the quarterback position like a linebacker, attacks it.”"
- Fox Sports reporter Bruce Feldman passed along information that former coach John Robinson said Burrow reminds him of all-time-great Joe Montana
- Former Bengal’s quarterback Boomer Esiason sees similarities between Super Bowl MVP Patrick Mahomes and the Lousianna product
"“Too much of an athlete. He’s an under-appreciated athlete. He reminds me, in that regard, I don’t know if when Patrick Mahomes came out that people knew the kind of athlete he was. Great baseball player. Great basketball player. He kind of found quarterback because it was awesome and great and it was challenging. I think that’s what this kid is. We all do.”"
- NFL analyst Lance Zierlein gave a pro comparison of Kurt Warner
- Finally, although not a pro comparison, The Athletic’s Ted Nguyen had a different kind of analogy for the soon to be first-round pick
If the Cincinnati Bengal’s get an iteration of some of the stellar quarterbacks Burrow was compared to, they’ll be on the fast track to returning to contention.