Bengals News: Possible Jessie Bates holdout, Ring of Honor nominees
Bengals news consists of Jessie Bates insisting that he won’t play on the franchise tag and the list of Ring of Honor nominees has been revealed.
Fans woke up to the news on Tuesday that former second-round pick Jessie Bates doesn’t plan to play on the franchise tag this year. The Cincinnati Bengals have until July 15 to get a contract extension worked out with Bates or else he’ll either play on the franchise tag, get traded, or sit out the season.
It’s not uncommon for players slapped with the franchise tag to pull this move. They want to get paid the money they think they deserve and we shouldn’t be angry at Bates for wanting a huge payday.
The highest-paid safety as of this writing is Jamal Adams of the Seahawks, who makes $17.5 million annually. With the way their draft played out, it doesn’t appear that Cincinnati is willing to spend big money on Bates and that’s why Daxton Hill was taken in the first round.
The Bengals also released the nominees for the second-ever Ring of Honor. A few of the names include Willie Anderson, Cris Collinsworth, Corey Dillon, Boomer Esiason, Chad Johnson, Lemar Parrish, and Reggie Williams. The entire list can be seen in Mike Petraglia’s tweet below.
What’s trending in Bengals news around the web?
- Bengals safety Jessie Bates reportedly won’t play under the franchise tag this season [Ryan Young, Yahoo! Sports]
- Bengals’ Jessie Bates has no intention of signing franchise tag, per report [Tyler Sullivan, CBS Sports]
- Bengals Ring of Honor Voting Officially Open for 2022 [James Rapien, All Bengals]
- One NFL player you wish never played for your team [Randy Gurzi, NFL Spin Zone]
- Bleacher Report proposes that Bengals trade Jessie Bates to Eagles [Stripe Hype]
With the Ring of Honor voting, the season ticket holders and suite holders for the 2022 season get to vote on who they’d like to see inducted. While all of these players are worthy of being in the Ring of Honor, Willie Anderson should be at the top of everyone’s ballots.
The Jessie Bates storyline will be one that will continue to be closely monitored throughout the offseason and it’ll be interesting to see how that plays out.